Thursday, March 23, 2006

22 hours in Holland

More than 15 years after my first trip to the Netherlands, I've finally made it to Amsterdam. I was in town for a day on Friday visiting our office for the first time. The city is incredibly picturesque. Each house is unique, sitting along side gently curving tree-lined canals and adorable bridges. Many of the simple bridges can be raised, allowing barges to pass.

My company put me up in a hotel by the Central Railway Station, an architectural masterpiece of its own. The station is bounded by a large canal, filled with colourful low-profile barges. All in all, Amsterdam is a lovely city. I'll definitely be back for a long weekend in summer.

I also spent two days in Munich earlier this week. Spring has definitely arrived there. The snow has almost melted, the trees are budding and the sun is actually warm. I even enjoyed lunch with a staff member at a sunny outdoor cafe. Sadly, the weather in London remains bitterly cold. However, the Met Office is promising temperatures in double figures this weekend. This'll be the first time we've moved beyond single digits since arriving in London.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will have to try for a trip to Holland next visit - sounds rather nice.
B&J

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. How far is Amsterdam from London? As your weather is warming our's of course is cooling. A definite Autumn nip in the air tonight.