Wednesday, April 12, 2006

BBQ, snow and ice

I've just returned from a two-day business trip to Munich. I took the opportunity to catch up with my brother Hamish in Austria for a day on Sunday. I flew out early on Sunday morning, arriving in time to catch the 11:03 train from Munchen Flughufen to Kitzbühel. Hamish, Nicole and Steffie were waiting for me at Worgl station 90 minutes later. Steffie greeted me with an enormous hug, while Nicole was more reserved (she made up for it later with an endless stream of hugs throughout the day).

The weather was rainy in Munich, but the alps were enjoying blue skies and fabulous sunshine. The sun was warm enough for Hamish, Karin and I to spend much of the afternoon sitting in the sun. We even went as far as lighting the BBQ for the first grill of the season. Karin also managed to spread out the last vestiges of melting snow on the lawn. By dinner time the last of the winter snow had melted. So much for the metre of snow that Garry and I saw on the ground over Christmas. Winter was officially banished.

I caught the train just before 8am the following morning, arriving at the office in Munich soon after 10.00am. After a successful day of meetings, I was talked into dinner at a local Bavarian pub with plenty of home brewed beer, seated at long bench tables and a live Bavarian brass band. The band soon caught wind of my Australian accent and promptly broke into a lively rendition of 'Waltzing Matilda'. This wasn't the only surprise in store for me in Munich.

After such a sunny weekend, it was surprising to wake this morning to two inches of snow covering the city. Snow continued to fall steadily for most of the day. In least than 12 hours, a snow-free city was back in the grip of winter with snow covering everything and ice forming on the pavements. I was happy to fly home to far warmer conditions. I heard that half a metre of snow fell in the alps today. Karin will be out on the lawn soon removing the last of the winter snow for a second time.

No comments: