Monday, July 24, 2006

Farnborough Air Show



The world's largest civil airliner, the Airbus A380, first took to the air in April 2005. Since this maiden flight, I've promised myself I'd find an opportunity to actually see the super-jumbo for real. Today Garry and I spent an amazing day at the Farnborough Air Show watching the Airbus 380, Harrier jets, MIG29s, and an endless array of other fighter jets in action.

Hundreds of aircraft were on show in static displays, while dozens took to the air in a deafening display of aeronautic agility. Perhaps the most astonishing display was given by the new Airbus 340-600. We watched it take off with the most jaw-dropping, gravity-defyingly steep ascent before proceeding to make the tightest turns I've ever seen. The world's longest commercial aircraft (75 metres) is incredibly agile.


The Harrier was amazing to watch as it hovered in front of the crowd, before slowing rotating on the spot and briefly flying backward. Awesome! And incredibly loud. This was in stark contrast to the A380 which flew by almost whisper quiet. It was hard to believe that such a large aircraft could be so quiet.


Bell/Boeing - V-22 Osprey

The loudest aircraft was definitely Europe's new Tornado fighter plane. When this plane lit its afterburners the ground literally shook beneath us. The most impressive aerial display of the day though had to go to the Red Arrows, the RAF's aerobatic team. They arrived in a perfect v-formation, roaring past the crowd barely 100 feet from the ground. Spectacular!

We had a fantastic day in the sun, watching some of the most incredible flying displays. I told Garry we'd be back next year for sure!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. You were luckier with the weather on Sunday than we were on the Saturday.

I actually thought the F-18 and MiG were probably louder than the Tornado...

The Red Arrows are always impressive. I've got some shots on Flickr, and a post of my own on my weblog.