Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Steve Irwin makes headlines

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

London's afternoon papers carried the news of Steve Irwin's death as their cover story today. The Australian wildlife champion and television personality, known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, died yesterday when a stingray's barb pierced his heart while filming a new television series off the coast of Port Douglas. It's clear from this story's profile that Steve was a well known personality here.

The nature of his death was particularly unnerving. Several years ago Garry and I joined a stingray feeding excursion in Tahiti. The rays literally swarmed over us as they attempted to grab the food from our hand. I can only assume that the species we handled wasn't the same at that which killed Steve. I certainly hope so.

We never had any sense at the time that these seemingly friendly animals were dangerous. I'm suddenly reminded of the German tourist who's Tour Guide told him a crocodile-infested pond was safe for swimming - he was later eaten alive in the Northern Territory. Perhaps we've been placing too much faith in our tour guides? I later saw an article indicating that up to half a dozen different stingray species would have been in the area at the time of Steve's death.

Equally unnerving today was news of a fanatic Muslim gunman in Amman who opened fire on a group of tourists at the city's Roman Ampitheatre. One tourist died from his wounds. Garry and I visited this site while in Jordan last year. It's a open venue with absolutely no place to shelter. It's hard to fathom that we could have been at risk here as well. I'm starting to think that our globe-trotting adventures are just a little more risky than they first appear.

As an aside, the cover I've reproduced here comes from one of four free daily newspapers published in London. We have a morning paper called Metro that I pick up at the tube station (plus another called City AM), and two competing afternoon papers - both launched this month. You have to wonder if the London market is large enough for so many free newspapers. TIME magazine certainly does. I'll be a very happy man when I can get my weekend paper for free as well.

No comments: