Saturday, September 16, 2006

Take one finely diced Trade Union Member

I love online translation engines. This morning I found myself surfing the net for a Tiroler Groestl recipe. I ate this was a simple dish at a mountain cafe in Austria last weekend. We'd call it Bubble & Squeak in Australia or Corn Beef Hash in America. I eventually found a recipe online, published in German. Dropping the text into Altavista's babel fish translation engine yeilded the following results:

Tiroler Groestl
Enough for 4 - 6 people
1 kg of potatoes
40 Trade Union of German Employees...

The translation goes on to recommend another 6 Trade Union of German Employees be added later. I don't recall quite so much meat in my meal. Perhaps this explains the large pile of denim overalls sitting out the back of the cafe.

To preserve international harmony and avoid arrest for homicide, I offer my own translation of this simple recipe:

Tiroler Groestl
Enough for 4 - 6 people

1 kg of potatoes, cooked and sliced into large chunks
400 gms of chopped bacon, ham pieces or shredded roast chicken
1 large onion, finely diced
6 tsp oil
Moisten contents with a splash of soup or stock
Add salt, pepper, majoram and chopped parsley as desired

Fry the onion in oil. Add the meat, soup and potatoes. Fry until the potatoes are crisp and golden brown. Add remaining ingredients in final minute of cooking. Serve with salad. Trade Union Employees are optional.

As a postscript, I later discovered a dictonary that translates Australian terms into American English. I've made a mental note to ask for Swiss chard instead of Silver beet next time I'm in New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one of John's favourites when in Kitz and up at in mountain restaurant. There is something similar that has an egg on top too which is also simple but delicious. Good food, marvelous air, a glass of wine and magnificent views make for a gret afternoon. Not so sure about walking back down though.