Saturday, December 09, 2006

Scan me


Digital security is now a part of our everyday travel regime. Several months ago I enrolled in the UK Home Office's IRIS immigration access program. This pilot program lets me to enter the UK via a special lane where a camera scans my eye, confirms my identify and then automatically grants me access to the UK via a gate in the immigration hall.

The entire process takes less than a minute, enabling me to avoid immigration queues and entry cards scribbling whenever I return from overseas. In fact, these days I usually reach the baggage hall well ahead of my luggage. Garry was also able to sign up recently, giving him the same speedy immigration clearance.

We've tested the system to its limits. We can confirm that your eyes look the same to a computer even when you're jet-lagged, hungover or suffering hayfever. Amazing.

I've also renewed my New Zealand passport. It includes a biochip page stitched into the back of the book. In time various bio details like my UK IRIS scan status will be added to this chip. Airport immigration and security is changing rapidly.

No comments: