Thursday, March 22, 2007

More kulture coming


With our many family visitors almost upon us, we've been booking tickets for plenty of live theatre. London is full of theatre. It's staggering how much is on offer. The West End alone has more than 50 productions live every day, competing against an equal number of active fringe theatres.

Over the next few months we're off to see:
  • Boeing, Boeing- a classic comedy that's been revived on the West End. I recall first hearing of this play while at school in Morrinsville, New Zealand. The local amateur theatre group staged a production in its aging Little Theatre. I never saw it but a story involving commercial airlines captured my imagination and has remained with me ever since.
  • King of Hearts - another comedy that explores a world in which the future King of England wants to marry a Muslim bride. I'm sure it'll have its moments of controversy. It's on at our local theatre literally five minutes walk from home.
  • Dame Edna Everage - we've scored tickets to watch the taping of Dame Edna's new television show on ITV1. This should be a unique experience watching the show come together, sharing outakes and witnessing moments that never translate well on to the small screen. I've not seen a television show taping for ages. I recall taking my parents to see a live Australian lunch time talk show go to air many years ago. Bananarama were guests at the time.

It looks like we got plenty of laughs ahead of us. I've also booked my parents tickets to see The Mousetrap. The show must go on.

No comments: