Saturday, May 26, 2007

Kiwis on the loose


I'm finally back from my mad dash to South Africa for three days of business. I arrived home on Thursday morning about 7.40am. My parents arrived a little more than two hours later. On the spur of moment I decided to settle down with my laptop in the arrivals hall and wait for Air New Zealand to deliver them into Heathrow.

Mum was thrilled to see. In fact, I'm glad she did. I'd missed her exiting the customs hall which in itself would have created a comic scene. I'd have been left standing forlornly in the terminal while my parents rode the tube into Swiss Cottage. Secretly I think they were glad to have an extra porter with them. Collectively we managed to get three lumbering suitcases and cascading armfulls of carry-on luggage safely home without injury.

We worked up quite a sweat getting home as the warm weather has returned with vengence. Last night we had little more than a summer sheet across us as we slept. The Met Office is promising rain by Monday - just in time for the public holiday weekend.

Having been to London so many times before, it's going to be a challenge to keep Mum and Dad entertained. Sadly, I can't just send them off to watch the Changing of the Guard. However, we seem to be off to a good start. After refreshing showers, we wandered down to the local Tesco Metro on Thursday afternoon and then up to Primrose Hill to catch a glimpse of the London skyline. That's at least one new London adventure ticked off the list. Phew!

Today, Mum and Dad took themselves off to Borough Market and then on to Oxford Street to witness the sale crowd at Primark. More ticks off the list. Tomorrow we're off to the Chelsea Flower Show, followed by live theatre on Monday evening. Dad has also expressed an interest in touring Lords Cricket Ground, a mere 15 minute walk from our house.

No comments: