Monday, July 02, 2007

Eight decades and counting

Garry and I drove my parents down to Fernhurst today to join celebrations for my Aunt Shirley’s 80th birthday. The trip was relatively swift and uneventful allowing us to enjoy four seasons that swept through over a two-hour period; sun, rain, sun showers, torrential rain and just plain cloudy. I was also fascinated to discover that construction work has begun on the final stretch of the A3 still lacking a dual-carriageway. I learnt later that a twin-bore tunnel is being built, scheduled to be open by 2012.

Everyone was in fine form down south today including my Aunt. I still can’t believe she’s 80. If you ask me she hasn’t aged a day. Shirley's still the same person I recall meeting for the first time almost 30 years ago. She remains an intelligent woman who offers a strong, well-articulated opinion while retaining the virtue of a lively, open mind. If this is what awaits me 40 years hence I shall be a very happy man.

No comments: