Friday, November 09, 2007

Oh the humilation...

It's official. I have gout. I hobbled down the road for a consultation with the doctor this morning after enduring 1.5 days of throbbing, aching pain in the big toe of my left foot. I thought I might have sprained it in New York last week as it had started to ache on my final day in town. However the pain cleared up over the weekend and I thought nothing more of it. On Tuesday evening it started to ache again and with hours was racked with pain I'd never experienced before.

It seems that this probably isn't my first bout of gout. I had a painful couple of days with same toe while we were in the Amazon. At the time I simply assumed I'd sprained it given the volume of walking we were doing. However, the same toe has gone on to experience twinges at regular intervals ever since.

Tomorrow I'll be getting some blood tests done. In the mean time the doctor has given me some potent anti-inflamatory drugs. They work! Tonight I can walk again. Thank goodness. We are off to Malta for Garry's birthday tomorrow. I was starting to think I'd get no further than our hotel room without a pair of crutches. Oh the humiliation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew. Im just catching up on your blogs and would love you to relay my birthday wishes to Hamish. We were in the same year at school and Im fascinated that he is now in Austria....! I crossed to the 40's myself last month. Still loving your blog - cheers - Viv Holt (Crompton)

Anonymous said...

Poor you !!! Murray says that the pain of gout is the worst thing he has ever experienced. I remember decades ago taking him to the doctor laying in the back seat of the car because he could not put his foot to the ground. After a few bouts of the same he was put permanently onto gout medication and hasn't looked back since, so don't despair, all is not lost.