Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kiwis in town


I discovered a delightful new pub in Hammersmith last night. The Queens Head is located in a classic red-brick building overlooking a large, tree-filled park. The narrow, rather modest street-front hides an enormous beer garden and some of London's friendiest bar staff. It's somewhat ironic that I was introduced to this venue by a pair of kiwi tourists who'd flown in hours earlier.

Bob and Phillipa are long-standing friends of my parents. Phillipa is often mistaken for my mother's sister, as well as acting as my second mother during high school. They've just completed a tour of Turkey and are about to join a second tour through Russia and the Baltic States. Last night they dropped into Hammersmith for drinks and dinner with Philippa's nephew, Chris. I joined them after work as my office was barely five minutes away.

As the conversation progressed it became apparent that Chris and his wife have enjoyed just as many excursions across Europe as Garry and I. We spent a wonderful evening comparing travel notes and sharing news from Aotearoa. Bob and Phillipa clearly loved Turkey. I viewed their photos of Ephesus with envy. They arrived before the crowds and saw the ancient town's famous Library without a soul in sight.

No comments: