Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wash your hands, you're making me ill


The season's first ailment has struck with vengeance. I woke during the night feeling unbelievably congested and short of breath. Today, I broke out in a frightening bout of sweats and fever as boarded the tube for work. I travelled two stations, decided I felt rotten and promptly returned home. My first winter cold has clearly taken hold. Tonight, I'm loaded with drugs and wiping a runny nose every five minutes.

The source of my infection is obvious if the BBC is to be believed. It's published a story on a recent study that suggests one in four UK commuters carry faecal bacteria on their hands. Apparently dirty hands are one of the most common transmission vectors for the common cold virus. The story is in aid of Global Handwashing Day, an initiative designed to encourage better personal hygiene. They've certainly got my attention!

No comments: