Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Read all about it


For a nation of 60 million people we’re spoilt for choice when it comes to national daily newspapers. There are at least ten titles available during the week including two broadsheet formats, three in a compact format and at least six in tabloid format. The most popular national title is The Sun, a tabloid known for its Page 3 Girl. Each major urban area also has its own daily regional or local title.

By comparison; Australia has only two, The Australian and the Australian Financial Review; while the United States has USA Today and possibly the Wall Street Journal. However, despite the variety, national daily newspaper readership is steadily falling. An average of 3.2 million fewer copies were sold in 2007 compared with six years earlier.

Many readers are moving online. Earlier this year online readership by the 15 to 45 year old age group surpassed print edition readers for the first time. 45% of survey respondents in this age group read publications online, compared to 38% who read hardcopies. I typically check online editions before I leave the house and again when I return in the evening.

Average reading time has also fallen. Today a weekday newspaper is read for an average of 40 minutes. I typically read my paper on the train each morning, a journey that lasts about 35 minutes. I often buy the Times. However, most commuters seem to read Metro, a national free newspaper distributed at tube stations across the city.

We also have two evening freesheets to chose from. The London Paper circulates 500,000 copies each weekday, compared with London Lite's 400,000 copies. Currently each paper is accusing the other of dumping excess publications each day in an attempt to boost circulation numbers.

Commuters certainly dump their well-thumbed copy in the carriage when they're finished. The number of papers left sitting at the end of the line is staggering. In London's West End about 20 tonnes of free papers are discarded as waste every week, almost a quarter of all litter collected by Westminster City Council. This additional litter costs the Council an estimated £111,000 annually to dispose of. Free isn't quite so cheap after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew!!
I still miss picking up copies of whatever lays close to hand on the tube!

It seems that despite the desperate need for a metro here in Sydney the ALP is determined to make sure it is promised and (not so) promptly rescinded.

I have been updating my blog at last - as I have finally been able to solve the video conversion issue and, probably, reverted to happier thoughts rather than think about daily issues like work!!!

My foot comes out of my splint next Friday. I can't wait.

Summer is finally here, despite a few bumps. The days are warmer and clearer and I am spending more time at the Boy Charlton to try keep my waning calves in shape!

Hope all's well over there!!