Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Farewell Helen


Terribly sad news. Helen Wieser, much loved mother of my sister-in-law, Karin, died this evening following an all too brief battle with Leukaemia. My heart goes out to my brother Hamish and his extended family in their moment of grief. Helen's passing comes barely a year since Karin's father, Hermann, died suddenly.

It was only five weeks ago that Helen went into hospital for tests after feeling unwell for some time. A positive Leukaemia diagnosis followed soon after. Tragically, after an initial round of chemotherapy, Helen weakened immune system was unable to fight off an opportunistic Pseudomonas Aeruginosa bacterial infection. Septicemia and septic shock followed. She died peacefully with her family by her side around 10.30pm this evening.

Helen was a wonderful person. A strong character, full of presence and mettle. She seemed destined to out-live us all. I can hardly believe the news. I have my own special memory of her. As sun-baked antipodean who'd never owned a scarf Helen taught me how to safely cloak them. During my first winter visit to her Kitzbehul home she taught me to stuff my scarf down the arm of a jacket before hanging it on a peg.

I still vividly recall Helen's lesson, marveling at the simplicity of this handy, yet practical, winter hint. That was Helen - very practical and always well organised. To this day I feel enormously clever every time I cloak my scarf and jacket - and can honestly say I've never lost a scarf in any cloakroom scramble. Thank you Helen. You will be remembered.

1 comment:

Bev & John said...

Yes it is hard to believe such a strong, vital person could go so quickly. A very sad time for her family and friends but she will always be there beside them.
Farewell Helen.XX