Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wet, wet, wet


Yesterday’s appalling weather was a timely reminder that Summer is over in London. Heavy rainstorms and brisk winds battered the city through out the day. Farnborough, on the southern fringe of London, reported more than 57mm of rain in 24 hours. I’ve also seen reports that September’s rainfall hit 82% of the monthly average yesterday, with half a month yet to come. I can honestly say I can’t recall seeing such persistent, intense wet weather for some time.

Having just returned from six weeks of hot, humid and essentially moisture-free weather in Asia, London’s rain was a shock to the system. I’d forgotten how to use an umbrella. Equally disconcerting has been the unexpected sight of trees changing colour as cooler weather sets in. I can’t recall the autumn colours appearing so early. Perhaps they have but I’ve not had an opportunity to compare their arrival with the scene in Asia. There was certainly no hint of autumn colour in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

At one point Asia’s sweaty, sticky Summer conditions actually lead to disappointment. As I flew out of Tokyo, our route took us directly over Mount Fiji. In all my years of flying out of Tokyo, I’ve only once seen Mount Fiji as the postcards show it. Smog or cloud usually masks it or I’m departing after dark. I was looking forward to seeing Japan’s iconic snow-capped peak in all its glory. Sadly, the mountain was bare. The first of the Autumn snow has yet to fall.


Flying out of Japan again reminded me of a night flight I once made from Tokyo. My seat was by the emergency exit. As I boarded I was greeted by several engineers trying in vain to close the door in front of me. After considerable debate, man-handling and the full weight of two men thrown against it, the door was closed and the flight cleared for departure. However, as the plane sped down the runway, I was stunned to hear the sound of wind wistling around the door frame. Of course, once the cabin was pressurised the door sealed seamlessly and flight continued without incident. It's probably the only time I've ever wondered if this was to be my last, fatal flight.

However, another flight will remain forever top of mind. On my way back to London I had an opportunity to finally experience the Airbus A380. The aircraft looked and felt as new as you'd expect. The interior is surprisingly spacious, the cabin remarkably quiet and Qantas has done a magnificant job upgrading its product to match. The grand staircase at the front of the plane alone is an incredibly impressive entrance. You feel like you've walked into a luxury apartment rather than a flying machine. Much to Garry's amusement I confess that I walked the full length of aircraft's twin floors. It's big!

No comments: