Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The beauty of history


I've just spent a memorable weekend exploring Ironbridge, arguably the home of the Industrial Revolution, and the picturesque Dee River valley in Northern Wales. Look for a couple of posts shortly. What's with the radio telescope you ask? That's the Lovell Telescope at the Jordell Bank Observatory, east of Liverpool. I noticed it was within an hour's drive of my weekend destination and so I made a detour to see it for myself

At the time of its completion in 1957, the current 76.2 metre dish was the world's largest steerable antenna. It was activated just weeks before the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, the world's first artificial satellite. This meant that it became of few instruments in the West that were able to accurately track the satellite's orbit around the earth using radar.

Unfortunately, I arrived at the facility after it had closed for the day.  However, I was happy to enjoy some stunning roadside views of this famous facility lit perfectly by the late afternoon sun. 


No comments: