Saturday, December 24, 2011

Paid in full

I am debt-free! This week I repaid the remaining balance on my share of our apartment’s mortgage. The final payment was made just a month shy of the loan’s eighth anniversary. I never imagined I’d ever be able to clear my share of the debt so swiftly. In a roller-coaster year of emotions, both high and low, reaching this milestone has been an uplifting way to end 2011.

Technically the bank still considers me indebted as Garry has yet to pay down his remaining share of the mortgage. Encouragingly, a steady rise in Sydney house prices over the last eight years means that the outstanding balance is barely a quarter of the apartment’s current value. As negative economic headlines continue to dominate the news it’s encouraging to know that our financial future is increasingly secure.

No comments: