Saturday, October 21, 2006

Remembering Stuart McGregor

Some sad news this morning. Dad's brother, my Uncle Stuart, passed away shortly after 9pm NZST today. He was 76. Stuart has been in poor health for many years so his death is not unexpected. However, the news was still a shock. Stuart is the first member of my parent's generation to die. It's difficult to fathom that this generation is finally approaching full term.

My uncle was fond of horse racing. As a young teenager I recall staying at his house in Mount Manganui, New Zealand, for weekends. He'd hand me the racing form sheet and offer to cover a bet for me. We'd later listen intently to a feverish race call broadcast on the radio. I never won despite reviewing and comparing the form of each horse with great care. I wonder what memories people will have of me?

I heard today's news from my cousin Hilary. She called to get my parent's phone number as Mum had left a message on my Auntie Shirley's answering machine with an incorrect number. After talking with Hilary I called Hamish and Karin who were traveling in Slovenia, celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary. It was lovely to have family so near when the news broke. Moments like this remind me how far away from home we really are.

No comments: