Monday, February 26, 2007

A victim of global warming

My return from South Africa has brought with it a dose of late-Winter flu. Since Tuesday I've had an alternating series of stomach pains, headaches and a phlegm-filled cough. The hotel air-conditioning in Johannesburg set off my sinuses last week so I wasn't surprised when it developed into something more by the time I flew home.

I read today that a mild winter actually increases the likelihood of illness in the Spring. A harsh winter typically kills off more microbes, bacteria and parasites that cause disease. Conversely the lack of a prolonged cold spell results in more aliments. How ironic. I'm ill thanks to global warming.

Of course everyone is telling me I've picked up a bug on the plane. I have my doubts about this urban myth. A well-ventilated aircraft has cleaner air than the average home or office. For example, we definitely don't have industrial-strength HEPA filters screening out patheogens at Swiss Cottage. Whatever is floating around the house sits there for quite some time.

Recent research indicates that the transmission of tuberculosis in-flight required people to sit within two rows of a contagious passenger for at least 8 hours. On Monday's red-eye flight I had a baby in front of me , a bulkhead behind me and a very healthy, tanned and athletic Italian sitting next to me. As a result, I'm pointing the finger at the Hilton's air-conditioning rather than British Airways.

Spring is coming!
Garry and I went for a walk in the neighbourhood yesterday. An increasing number of trees have burst into blossom. Winter is rapidly drawing to a close. With the start of March only days away, this should be no surprise. Spring is almost here.

No comments: