Friday, December 07, 2007

Food, glorious seafood


Fresh seafood. It's the one thing I miss most about life in London. Of course you can get perfectly edible seafood here. However its often thawed from frozen, or is dominated by less appealing cold water species inhabiting the frigid North Atlantic and North Sea. Spending a week in San Francisco gave me an opportunity to sample some of the city's fresh ocean produce.

On Saturday evening I caught a cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf to enjoy creamy Clam Chowder and fresh, meaty Crab Cakes. Earlier in the day I'd enjoyed Poke Tuna Bowl at Mr Hana in Westfield Shopping Centre. This is a simple Japanese fusion salad made of marinated tuna chunks, avocado, nori, cucumber and sushi rice. Very tasty!


On Sunday evening I caught the F-street car along Embarcadaro to the restored Ferry Building. I sat at the marble counter-top in Hog Island Oyster Bar with a large glass of wine, savouring another bowl of fresh, creamy clam chowder and a delicious salad piled high with a mound of fresh crab meat. As I left the Ferry Building I was captivated by Christmas lights framing the nearby Embarcadaro Centre. The effect left me wondering if I'd ventured into a Disney theme park.


Earlier in the week I'd enjoyed an evening meal at Betelnut on Union Street. This is another venue offering a mouth-watering menu of Asia fusion dishes in a relaxed diner-style location. It was clearly popular as crowds waited at the bar for the next available table. We waited at least 40 minutes. However the wait was worth it. The oven smoked seabass with ginger-cucumber namasu literally melted in our mouths.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos, they are really great.