Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Big Apple update


I'm back in New York for work again. The Atlantic never seems to get any smaller. However, BA has finally begun upgrading its inflight entertainment system. I can now watch movies and TV on-demand which generally means I'll find something to watch that genuinely interests me. Small things like this help the flight pass swiftly.

When I arrived in New York I was surprised to see a blanket of snow on the ground and regular piles of compacted snow in every gutter. Apparently 20 cms of snow fell in the city last Thursday and Friday - the heaviest fall so far this winter. More than 1,100 flights were also cancelled. Incredibly, only four days earlier people were out jogging in 18°C weather.

I read today that it costs New York about cost $1 million an inch to clear the snow each time it falls. The Met Office is now predicting another light fall tomorrow evening. I hope it happens. I'd love to see New York in the snow.

No comments: