Sunday, October 19, 2008

Now you see me


The last milestone in our relocation to London has been realised. Finding an optometrist was the last personal services relationship I'd yet to transition. However, today I ordered my first pair of spectacles and contact lenes, following on from an eye exam scheduled a few weeks earlier.

My hand was forced when my spectacles frame fell apart in May. After four years of continuous use its time had finally come. As a temporary measure I resorted to wearing a frame that Garry first saw me in five years ago. Back then he hated the frame and eventually marched me off to a local optometrist for new look. Fair enough. I only have to look through it, while everyone else has to look at it. Garry joined me again today to help select my latest frame.

As we browsed the racks history repeated itself. Four years ago one of few frames we both liked was also one of the most expensive in stock. The same fate awaited us today. My pricey new pair of spectacles will be here in two weeks. However, vanity aside, as with everything else in London, the cost of my exam and the frames on offer has been mind-boggling.

I wrote several years ago about this nation's misleading price tags. The number printed on each tag is identical to the number in Australia. However, numbers here are written in pounds sterling rather than the humble Aussie dollar. At the current exchange rate, this means things are 2.5 times more expensive than back home. It's sight for sore eyes.

No comments: