Monday, August 13, 2007

Cheer, Cheer the Red and the White


It’s been more than two years since I last attended a live sporting event. Somehow we’ve been tied up in a myriad of other activities since moving to London, yet none have involved sport. I’d love to see a game at Wembley before we leave the UK. As a result, when my mate Brendan invited me to a Sydney Swans game on Saturday I leapt at the opportunity.

The Swans are Sydney’s local Australian Rules Football team. I’ve been attending local matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) since 1991. However, last night’s game was something special. It was staged at the impressive Telstra Stadium, the former Sydney Olympic Games venue. In front of 63,369 people, the Swan secured a 17-point victory against St Kilda. The final score: 12.10 (82) to 9.11 (65).


The atmosphere in the stadium was electrifying. The Swans trailed through the first three quarters before finally making a late charge to bring home the game. It just the sort of nail-biting experience that makes the game so much fun. Almost as much fun as the beer and hot dogs we purchased throughout the night?

The Swans are now guaranteed a position in the final eight for the season. I still vividly recall their Premiership win in September 2005, literally days before we departed Australia for life at Swiss Cottage. Go Swans!

No comments: