Friday, December 17, 2010

A classic Kitzbuhel winter


Yesterday Garry and I spent the day with my brother Hamish and his family in Kitzbuhel. We were blessed with postcard perfect weather which simply sent me into an unrelenting photo frenzy. I'll post more details shortly. However, here are a few spectacular images to make you weep. My brother's home town is truly magic!





Without a doubt, the highlight of our day was an excursion up the Hahnenkamm. We rode the local gondola up to the summit station to admire Kitzbubel’s stunning winter landscape and enjoy a classic Austrian lunch. Garry went for the wurst while I ordered my favourite dish, Tiroler Gröstl.

The most famous slope on the Hahnenkamm is a classic downhill course called the Streif (streak, or stripe). It’s regarded as the most demanding race course on the World Cup circuit. We walked along a ridge of the snow-clad Hahnenkammrennen course before turning back. The drop on sections of this race course are honestly near vertical. If you ask me competitors don’t ski down it as much as they free fall.




No comments: