Saturday, September 09, 2006

1000 viewers, 57 countries and counting

Six months after attaching a visitor counter my blog passed 1000 visitors today. The counter has proven to be a fascinating gimmick. Since March I've been visited by people from 57 different countries. I can't imagine why someone in Tanzania or Qatar is the least bit interested in me? I guess my next milestone will be 100 countries.

I take my hat off to the reader from Iceland. Both Garry and I want to visit this island. Last Summer you could spend a long weekend there for less than £150. Emily, our neighbour downstairs (from Sydney, Australia) dashed over to Iceland for two days last weekend. She flew out on Friday morning and returned mid-afternoon on Sunday. Emily raved about it when I ran into her dragging luggage up our endless stairway. Everything is just so close in Europe.

Talking of the neighbours, both Emily and Mei drop in last night about 10.00pm. Mei came to borrow some DVDs to play on her laptop as she doesn't have a TV. Emily dropped in when she heard Mei's voice in the doorway. You couldn't get a more definitive contrast between two Asian women. Emily is a laid back Australia ready and willing to tackle anything while Mei is a woman obsessively worried about almost everything. There's definitely a cultural factor in play. Japanese women live highly protected, almost demur lives which sits in stark contrast to our comparatively hard-edged, brash Western culture.

You'll recall that my business trip to Turkey was cancelled and the conference shifted to Portugal. We're staying at hotel on the coast just outside of Lisbon. Yesterday, a couple of us decided to extend our stay until Sunday evening (rather than fly home on Sunday morning) and visit the nearby world heritage-listed village of Sintra. The village looks simply divine. This brief excursion will be a wonderful way to end what's likely to be an incredibly demanding week for me.

I also have a business trip planned for Milan in early November. Garry is thinking about joining me for a weekend vacation. I suspect we'll need to rug up for this trip!

No comments: