Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Upolu road trip


We’ve spent the first three days in Samoa relaxing in the sun. We’ve done little more than lie under the shade of coconut trees, down cold beers and swim in the sea. It’s been bliss.

Today while Garry relaxed some more I hit the road in our rental car. I spent the afternoon exploring scenic highlights along the south coast of Upolu. By the time I was done I’d covered more 115kms, starting from our resort and finishing at Samoa’s renowned To-Sua Ocean Trench, before retracing my steps.


The trench is a coastal sinkhole filled with salt water flowing from the sea via an underground cavern. Visitors access the water 30 metres below by descending a steep wooden ladder set against the rock face. I climbed down and dived in for a refreshing swim, along with dozens of others. I was surprised to find the water was constantly in motion as the ocean’s tidal currents rose and fell.


Along the way I also took time out to visit a couple of the island’s waterfalls. My first fall for the day was Togitogiga Waterfall. It often stops flowing during the dry season (April to October). However, I was in luck. The cascade was active with several strong strands flowing.


I then finished the day with a brief stop at the Sopo’aga Falls. This is one of Samoa’s most beautiful falls. It drops in a single stream more than 32 metres into a picturesque gully. The falls are viewed from a platform sitting on the edge of a jungle-clad cliff. This elevated viewpoint delivers a truly majestic photo opportunity.


Other highlights from today’s road trip include a chain of colourful flags and potted plants lining the roadside in every village. We later learned they’ve been installed for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) scheduled in Apia from 21-26 October. It’s the first CHOGM to be held in a Pacific Small Island Developing State so the locals are going all out to impress their elite VIP visitors.


I also stopped to catch some memorable images of the island’s coconut-shaded paddocks, colourful public buses, and impressive churches, including the stunning blue and white Agelo Tausi Catholic Church. Many of the buses I passed were filled with uniformed school kids on their way home from class. Apparently, almost every village here has its own primary school.


Tomorrow we'll explore the sights around Apia, Samoa's capital, before taking a day trip to the neighbouring island of Savai’i.

No comments: