Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Comet McNaught


Every so often an event takes place that reminds me I'm no longer Down Under. This week I was sent photos of Comet McNaught, a spectacular comet that recently appeared in the Southern Hemisphere. I've always wanted to see a comet this stunning. Of course, I'm now in the Northern Hemisphere and the opportunity is lost.

The photo above was taken by Euan Mason, my cousin-in-law, in Christchurch, New Zealand. He's an avid amateur astronomer. I recall many years ago observing sunspots and solar prominences with his home made telescope. This was the first time I'd ever seen a sunspot myself. I was enthralled by the experience.

For the technically minded, Euan's photo is a three-minute exposure using a Skypod tracking device and ASA1600 film. The shutter was set at F5, using a 28 mm effective FL. Limited processing was done on the final image. (Copyright for this image resides with him). I wish I'd been able to see the image he's captured. I never imagined a comet would make me homesick.

No comments: