Friday, June 01, 2007

Boeing Boeing Gone

Garry and I took my parents to see a revival of Boeing Boeing in the West End tonight. The reviews for this production have been mixed. Most critics are heaping praise on on a talented cast for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear of a old script.

Having seen the production tonight I'd have to agree. The plot had plenty of potential but never really sparked. Sadly we've been spoiled by productions like Simon Gray's play Otherwise Engaged or the classic farce, Donkey's Years. Despite a flimsy script, we all had a good laugh this evening as a truly talented cast paraded traditional stereotypes and endured all manner of humiliation.

Perhaps the most surprising moment this evening came while walking home from the theatre. As we wandered along Haymarket towards Piccadilly Circus I suddenly realised that everything around me felt surprisingly normal. London actually felt familiar. It felt like home. I've clearly started crossing over from being a visitor to becoming resident. Now that's not the memory I'd expected to have of this evening.

No comments: