Friday, October 10, 2008

National laughing stock


I was contacted last week by a television executive. She asked if I'd like to participate in a focus group about new chat show format, explaining that she'd obtained my details from an application I'd made for tickets to Graham Norton's chat show. Never one to be short of an opinion, I agreed to participate and subsequently attended a meeting along with six others.

During the focus group the moderator invited us to view short film clips from different chat shows, starting with Graham Norton's show. We saw interview clips of Jennifer Saunders from Ab Fab fame and pop legend Cindy Lauper. We were then asked for feedback. What did we like? What did we dislike? We offered our candid opinions and general debate ensued. I listened intently for some time before finally vouching an opinion. My timing couldn't have been worse.


Half way through expounding my rather pointed opinion it was revealed that we were in fact live on television, appearing as part of a stunt on Graham Norton 's show. You can see the moment the truth was revealed above. Graham was doing a send-up of focus groups while chatting with his guests. I shall be forever immortalised by Jennifier Saunders as "a guy in silly spectacles."

As Graham cut to the focus group the moderator revealed that the clips we'd been watching were in fact live crosses to a real show. The camera then focused on me looking like a stunned mullet. Graham went on to reveal that as we'd watched ‘clips from his show’ the audience in the studio had watched us (as did a national television audience the following day). English humour can be rather cruel.


I spent most of today thoroughly depressed at the thought of being humiliated on national television. The show was broadcast on BBC2 this evening. Needless to say, I looked a complete fool as I earnestly commented on everything Graham did poorly. This seemed to annoy him but made his guests laugh out loud. Despite the humiliation I have to chuckle. It’s incredibly funny to watch the set-up even if its just a little embarrassing for the victims involved. I'm sure people at work will never look at me quite the same again.

UPDATE
A few months later I ran into one of the focus group participants. The gentleman in question was a member of the cabin crew on my British Airways flight. We both had a good laugh as we recalled our 15 seconds of fame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a laugh it must have been especially for every one else. I do hope they give you a copy of the show for us down under to watch. I can just imagine some of your commemts.

Anonymous said...

Watched the U-Tube copy of this event. A fantastic laugh and really amusing at the candidness of your comments. I cant wait for the sequel as I am sure Graham Norton probably thinks he has some unfinished business!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'd have been quite so candid if I'd known I was on national TV. Of course you never got to hear any of the favourable comments that were made in the 45 minutes before Graham cut to us for the first time. Ironically I'd hardly said a word in the session until the moment that was eventually broadcast. I guess I should chose my moment more carefully. Still, it was a brilliant set-up that almost backfired on Graham. Very funny.