Sunday, July 28

Crop circles in the carpet

 
The repairs to our balcony are finally drawing to close.  After six weeks of construction, interrupted by more than a week of unrelenting rain, the finishing touches are underway.  As you can see from the photo above new tiles have been laid and the walls have received a fresh coat of paint.  It's all come up rather well.  The final result is terrific.

While the neighbour's water penetration problems are now resolved unfortunately we've discovered a new water pentration problem indoors.  Earlier in the week I discovered our large indoor pot plants had been leaking onto living room carpet. The internal drip trays overflowed and the water has soaked through the pot's pressed concrete wall.

We now have two thread-bare "crop circles" in our carpet where damp pots have rotted the wool and left rather unpleasant mildew stains.  I've spent the last few days waterproofing each pots with a special membrane coating.  It's thick rubbery compound that you paint onto in progressively thicker layers.  Hopefully this will prevent any futher damage.

We're trying to look on the bright side.  The ruined carpet is another perfect excuse to begin planning those renovations we keep deferring.

No comments: