Friday, August 25, 2006

The month ahead

Summer is finally starting to wind down. This week we've put a feather duvet back on the bed and endured brief, but daily, rain showers. A few tree leaves have even started changing colour. With Autumn looming, we've planned a last burst of activity before it's time to hibernate.

This weekend we're planning to join the crowds at the annual Notting Hill Carnival. It's London's equivalent of Rio's carnival and is considered Europe's largest street party. We also have several fun outings planned with friends.

I'm particularly looking forward to trying out a local gastro-pub for lunch called The Foremason's Arms. I must explain the term "gastro-pub". It's not a venue that guarantees a stomach churning experience, rather its a pub that offers a modern, gourmet menu. At the very least this means that your regular burger will be dressed with a mix of salad greens rather than Iceberg lettuce and the fish-of-the-day won't come from a tin.

On Saturday we're catching up with friends for dinner and a show. We're off to see an old favourite from Sydney - the hilarious drag queen, Pam Anne. She considers herself an A-list air hostess to the stars. If only flying really were this much fun!

A week later I'll remember what air travel is really like when I fly to Istanbul for five days. I'll be hosting a gathering of my region's management team for the first time, making this a rather stressful business meeting. We're planning at least one evening in the city so I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of this immortal city.

Two weeks after Turkey, Garry and I are off to Geneva to celebrate my 41st birthday. This will be Garry's first visit to Switzerland and my first time in Geneva. We've booked a special weekend package at Hotel Beau-Rivage, a classic hotel situated on the lake front. I was able to negotiate a price directly with the hotel that proved significantly cheaper than anything on the internet.

Before we go to Geneva, I also have to spent at least a day in Amsterdam hosting an industry conference. Then after we get back from Geneva, I'll have to head straight back to Heathrow the following morning to catch a flight to India for yet another business meeting. With luck I'll be back in London for a much needed weekend at home.

No comments: