Thursday, September 14, 2006

Coming for lunch


The ground temperature can vary as much as ten degrees between the start and finish of a downhill ski run. This temperature range creates very different snow conditions. For professional ski racers, this variance creates a dilemma. Should they strap on skis ideal for the icy snow at the starting gate or skis that best suit the wetter, softer snow towards the end of the run?

Until last weekend I had no idea skiing involved so much science. My brother Hamish is full of these fascinating facts about snow, skis, and ski irons (you use these to condition wax rubbed onto the base of your skis). It's amazing what you learn when you spend an hour trekking in the hills above Kitzbuhel.

The weather was wonderful on Sunday when I flew into Munich. Blue sky greeted us in all directions. I managed to catch a connecting train from the airport, literally with two minutes to spare, arriving in Worgl 90 minutes later. Hamish met me at the station for the final drive to Kitzbuhel.

Karin and he had planned an afternoon of walking and relaxing at a local mountain cafe high above the town. Walking in the hills, and listening to the sound of cowbells was the perfect antidote to accumulated executive stress.


My nieces also had fun. Nicole stopped constantly to collect pieces of gravel that caught her eye. We couldn't quite work out why. Most of her stones looked rather grey and plain. She later washed each piece carefully in a mountain spring that bubbled outside the cafe where we stopped for lunch. The entire exercise kept her entertained for hours.

A picnic table in the sun was the perfect spot for a late lunch. I selected a traditional Austrian dish called Tiroler Grostl. This basically consists of ham, potato, herbs, and other simple ingredients fried in a large pan. Watching the girls eating their Strudel has us all laughing. Hamish and I finished the afternoon walking back down the mountain. It took us an hour to reach home where a much-needed cold beer was waiting.

Monday morning I caught the train back to Munich where I worked for three days. I flew home this evening. After four days of perfect weather, I've arrived home just as heavy rain is forecast. As I write the most spectacular lightning storm is underway outside my window. We haven't seen rain like this in months.


No comments: