Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fat kids are happy kids?

I continue to be astonished by the stories reported in UK newspapers. Generally, these story aren't meant to be considered odd, but coming from Australia, they inevitably make the average punter in the UK appear rather eccentric. Perhaps there's more truth to the stereotypical Englishman than meets the eye.

Today's classic is the tale of two mothers in South Yorkshire taking junk food orders from local school children, then passing the procured chips, burgers and fizzy drinks through the school's fence. For the past two weeks, Julie Critchlow and Sam Walker have been taking orders for up to 60 meals in defiance of a decision to ban pupils from leaving the school’s premises during lunch.

These women have effectively decided that kids would prefer a heart-stopping bacon sandwich than the more healthy alternative provided by the school. It's hard to believe that they actually think they're doing these kids a service. According to a recent Government paper, at least 15% of English children aged 15 years are now obese - double the number from a decade earlier.

I'd believe there's a growing problem in this country. I've actually noticed how much slimmer and healthier people are in Munich, Paris and Milan. The contrast with London is surprisingly stark. I rarely see a rotund person on street in Germany, France or Italy, while an unbelievable number of unhealthy individuals pass by in Hammersmith every morning.

I've actually found it more difficult to eat healthy in London. The variety of low-fat or low-calorie products on display in the Supermarket is less than I'm use to in Australia. Despite the shopping challenge, I'm doing my bit to please the nation's statisticians. I've lost more then three kilos and one inch off my waistline since starting the CSIRO diet last month. Garry's lost even more.

No comments: