Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The daily commute



I catch the underground's Jubilee Line to work every day. My journey starts at Swiss Cottage where I travel two stops south to Baker Street. Here I transfer to the Hammersmith and City Line which takes me to the end of the line at Hammersmith itself. I then walk a further ten minutes to the office. The entire journey takes me about 45-50 minutes each way.

After five months, I've learned a few tricks to shorten my commute. For example, when I'm coming home at night, it's best to stand next to the chocolate vending machine on the Northbound Jubilee line platform at Baker Street. The carriage that stops here also stops right outside the escalator to street-level at Swiss Cottage. Don't ever put your money into the vending machine. It has a habit of swallowing every last coin and never coughing up anything in return. With a 100% profit margin every time I'm tempted to buy a few shares in Cadbury Schweppes.

The landmark chocolate vending machine


On the way to work in the morning, it's also best to stand at the end of the Baker Street platform on the Hammersmith and City line, the end opposite the stairway. The carriage at the front of the train stops closest to the exit in Hammersmith thus avoiding the peak hour crowd that disembarks onto the platform. I've noticed that several other people follow the same routine. I see them in the same carriage and watch them exit at the same station. People really are creatures of habit.

Swiss Cottage station escalator. Notice the old light posts.


Baker Street is an incredible station. It was opened on January 10, 1863. The sub-surface platform I wait on every morning is part of the oldest Underground line in London (and hence the world). You really do feel like you're experiencing at part of history. Of the stations on this section of line this platform is perhaps the best-preserved. Plaques along the platform also show old plans and photographs of the station.

The original Baker Street platform. Notice the street level light wells, top left.


Baker Street itself was immortalised by the fictional Victorian sleuth, Sherlock Holmes, who lived at house number 221B. Garry and I have wandered past this unassuming terrace house. A small brass plaque by the door is the only reference to its famed location. Inside is a small museum commemorating the Victorian hero and his life. The tube station has custom tiles glazed with a silhouette of Holmes and a large statue of the man himself standing outside the Marylebone Street exit.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've organized your travels well and thanks for the history lesson too