Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What a difference a day makes

Garry and I have sweated through three sleepless nights as the summer weather takes hold. Yesterday was our hottest day yet. Temperatures reached the hottest on record for the date June 12 (a steaming 32C), while humidity climbed to another high. After three straight days of high temperatures I was finally tempted to buy a portable air-conditioning unit. Last night I spent several hours researching options on the web, including units able to filter out pollen and other hayfever triggers. A number of popular sites were already out of stock, or promising delivery in no less than 21 days.

The heat has also affected the tube again. You'll recall that trains were hit by a wave of delays last month when warmer temperatures started warping the tracks. The same problem reoccured yesterday. As a result speed restrictions were in place on several underground lines, including the Jubilee line. My evening commute took longer than usual and was delayed at several stations.

However, this is nothing compared with my morning train ride. Halfway between stations, 20 metres below street level, the power failed. We were left stranded in a hot, stuffy carriage for almost 15 minutes before power was restored. The heat was shocking. I've heard stories of people being trapped for several hours during the height of summer.

What a difference a day makes. Last night it rained and the rain came and went most of the day. As a result, temperatures have fallen to a more comfortable 19C this evening. The pollen counted has also crashed. Temperatures for the rest of the week are predicted to remain around 22-23C. Plans for my latest purchase are now on hold. Perhaps I can survive a few hot days after all.

We're also promised fair weather as well. I hope so. Last month was a very wet month across the majority of the UK, with some areas over England & Wales receiving over double the average May rainfall. The map below compares rainfall last month with the May average between 1961 and 1990. You can see that London had rain up to 75% heavier than average. I'm not sure which extreme I prefer now - rain or heat?

No comments: