Saturday, January 27, 2007

Coming and going (maybe)


British Airways is currently embroiled in an increasingly bitter strike. A dispute over sick leave conditions for cabin crew has resulted in the airline cancelling all flights on January 30 and 31. Strikes have also been threatened on February 5, 6 and 7, plus February 12, 13 and 14. I'm currently scheduled to fly to South Africa for business on February 13. I may find myself going no further than the departure lounge.

I certainly hope I don't get caught out as I've booked myself a weekend stopover in Capetown. I loved my first visit last July and have always been keen to return. When I discovered earlier this week that it was cheaper to fly to Johannesburg via Capetown I naturally considered it my moral duty to do my bit and save the company money.

The last time I found myself in the midst of an airline strike South Africa also featured. In 1996, while in transit to Europe for my brother's wedding, I found myself stranded in Johannesburg. At the time South African Airlines had grounded every flight less than 48 hours before Hamish's wedding was due to start. At the last minute, while waiting at the airport, I was transfered to Lufthansa, enabling me to leave Africa on schedule. The departing aircraft was fully loaded with not an empty seat to be found.

I can't recall the last time I was affected by strike action in Australia. Union militancy wasn't a regular feature of antipodean life. However, since arriving in London, I've found myself caught up in several strikes including one involving the Underground.

In addition to the forthcoming South African business trip I also have a company event in Brighton to attend and a trip to Madrid in late-February.

1 comment:

Yzerfontein said...

It was a relief to see British Airways strike, cancel London to Johannesburg flights, and realise that it's not just an African thing!

How's that looting of the ship in the UK? I was surprised.