Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wheels on Fire


In 1991 British comedian, Jennifer Saunders, wrote a 14-minute sketch called Modern Mother and Daughter for the French & Saunders Show. The public loved it. Within a year the sketch had become a global television phenomenon called Absolutely Fabulous. This sitcom eventually ran for three years from 1992, and was revived again for another three in 2001. I am a dedicated fan of the show and fondly recall watching every episode when they first aired.

Fast forward 15 years. I never imagined I’d see French & Saunders perform the original sketch live. Last night I did. A few weeks ago I purchased tickets to French & Saunders’ farewell tour as an early 40th birthday gift for Garry. Last night, after a quick meal at Covent Garden, we joined a sell-out crowd for two hours of fun and laughter.

Watching Jennifer Saunders play Edina Monsoon on stage was pure magic. I can safely say that Modern Mother and Daughter was every bit as funny as the television show I’d eagerly anticipated all those years ago. I’ve since read that both comedians memorized every line of the sketch word for word. It was easy to see why these 14 minutes became a cultural icon. It’s a true classic that’s stood the test of time.

No comments: