Friday, April 20, 2007

Dinner on the Seine






So often I visit wonderful cities while on business and never see anything more than my hotel, the airport or the office. Two examples come to mind. I've been to Milan twice in 12 months and seen little more than the Dumo from the corner of my eye while rushing to a client event. I've also visited Bangkok three times but never left the airport.

This week, while in Paris, a group of work colleagues and I decided to make an effort and see a few of the local sights. On Tuesday night we found ourselves enjoying a delicious meal while cruising down the Seine. Bateaux Parisiens took us past many of Paris' most memorable landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides (the final resting place of Napoleon I), Museem d' Orsay and Notre-Dame.

The cruise was truly magic, watching the sun slowly set over so many classic buildings. However, for me one of the evening's more memorable highlights was passing under one stunning bridge after another. Without a doubt, everything in Paris has been thoughtfully planned, including its many bridges. Sadly, London has simply planted bridges in chaotic shapes, sizes and rather dubious aesthetics.


Main entrance to the Ritz Hotel

I've also found time to see landmark locations synonymous with the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. It's hard to believe the tenth anniversary of her death takes place in August. While returning from the Seine cruise on Tuesday, our hotel minibus passed through the same tunnel where Diana lost her life. It was a poignant moment as I watched the deadly tunnel pillars streak past.

The following evening we stopped at the Ritz Hotel for a cocktail in its famous courtyard. Again, the sensation was odd, passing through the same doors that feature in images taken moments before Diana sped off to her death. History really does come alive in Europe.

No comments: