Monday, September 04, 2023

Dancing in the 80s


I’ve just returned from a four-day weekend in New Zealand. I flew in to join my brothers and their families for an early celebration of Mum’s 80th birthday. The official date ticks over in less than three weeks. However, Garry and I will be in the Cook Islands at this time.

My quick jaunt across the Tasman got off to a superb start. I bid for a last-minute Premium Economy upgrade on Air New Zealand’s Boeing 777 flight. This was the best thing I could have done. I scored a bulkhead window seat with extra legroom and an empty seat beside me.


The Premium Economy cabin is surprisingly well-featured, offering space and comfort that was once the equal of business class in the pre-lie-flat bed era. As a result, I ended up enjoying at least twice the space as the herringbone-seated sardines in Business Class next door – with an equally impressive dining menu and considerably more privacy.


On Saturday we all enjoyed a fun-filled lunch at the Neighbourhood Kitchen in Tauranga. Mum was in fine form. She was full of beans, dancing little jigs, and highly animated all afternoon. She's actually dancing another jig in the group photo that opens this post. Mum even sang us a childhood song that none of us recognised or could recall hearing before. It really was lovely to see her in such good spirits.

Her sister, Pam, will be flying in from Christchurch to join the family for a second celebration later this month. I’m sure Mum will enjoy her second party just as much as the first.  Happy Birthday, Mum!


Mum and I also enjoyed a refreshing stroll on the boardwalk along Main Beach on Friday. Mum enjoyed herself immensely. In the end, by the time we were done, we'd walked almost 2kms. The weather also played its part. The highlight for me was discovering a New Zealand delicacy known as "Lollie Cake".  It's basically a classic cake batter filled with pick-and-mix sweets like Strawberries & CreamSmartiesand Jaffas.

On Sunday I took Mum to visit Dad's memorial plaque. It was Father's Day in New Zealand so this felt like an appropriate gesture. My brothers and I were a little unsure how Mum would react. These days we never know which memories remain sharp and strong. 

She definitely registered Dad’s name when I pointed it out. She read it aloud and said “ohhh…” as if she recognised it. However, that was the extent of the moment we shared. She then wandered off to read other plaques nearby. Dementia is a strange beast at the best of times.


No comments: