Friday, December 01, 2006

Dancing and dinner


Last Sunday night Garry and I went to the Young Performers Children's Variety Performance a the Shaftesbury Theatre. It's a one-off showcase given by students from dance studios in England and Wales. Essentially, each school rehearses a routine, sometimes for months, before coming together in London. Most West End theatres are dark on a Sunday. This makes it possible to hire out a major theatre for an evening and perform in front of family and friends. There's nothing more exciting for a student than and opportunity to dance on a real West End stage.

We were invited to attend this year's performance by a friend, Chris Ogg. His niece, Laura, was participating in this year's show. Twelve years ago Chris and I shared a flat in Sydney. In the years since, I've often chatted with Chris' Mum, but have never met her. She came down to London to watch Laura perform, as did Chris' sister, Bridget. It was wonderful to finally meet Mrs Ogg and Bridget. It was also fun to meet Laura. I still recall the day in Sydney when Chris announced he was going to be an Uncle for the first time. How time flies.

More old flatmates, more old friends
On Tuesday night I caught up with Al, another former flatmate and friend from Sydney. He's just bought his first home, a renovated flat in the South of London. It's a great property in a respectable area. I think he's done exceptionally well for himself. His new flatmate, Nathan, is also an old contact from Australia. It was great to renew acquaintances with yet another person from Down Under. The list of friends and former flatmates now in London keeps growing!

More travel plans
My travel diary continues to fill. Garry and I are off to Russia in three weeks time. However, before we go, I have a three-day business trip to Paris scheduled. I've also got a trip to Milan booked in mid-January. For now, here's a look at the itinerary for our Christmas adventure.

No comments: