Sunday, June 04, 2023

It’s a small world after all


A recent conversation about Disneyland brought back memories of my first (and only) visit to the original Anaheim theme park in California. Growing up my family watched the Wonderful World of Disney on television every Sunday night. As a child, I was always captivated by scenes of Disneyland in the show’s opening credits, while my brothers and I fervently envied anyone who’d actually been there.

Years later I was lucky enough to visit Disney World in Orlando while on a business trip in the USA. At the time, I'd been flown to Atlanta for a week of meetings and product demonstrations by a company called Scientific Atlanta. I then took a week off and flew to Florida to explore Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, and Key West. I recall two fun-filled days were spent at Epcot and Disney World. However, as kids, Disney World was never considered the real thing - so it really didn't count.


Therefore, at the ripe old age of 39, I was delighted to finally experience the "real" Disneyland. At the time, I was in Los Angeles on business. Garry had also tagged along for the ride. Together, we visited the park after I’d finished my last business meeting for the day. Chris Tang, the country manager for my company’s China network, had also spent the day with me. She accepted an invitation to join in the fun. 


We arrived at the park’s hallowed gates shortly before dusk. As a result, we got to experience Disneyland by day and by night. I was determined to try every theme ride I’d seen on television’s opening credits no matter how naff. This included the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party ride in spinning cups, the Dumbo Flying Elephant ride, Space Mountain, the Tomorrowland monorail, and the incredibly kitsch Small World boat ride.


Garry kindly yielded and joined me for the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party. However, he steadfastly refused to join me on the Small World ride. Foolish man. He missed Australia’s starry pink kangaroo and joey (why pink?), and the quirky, quizzical kiwis on Aotearoa’s tiny podium. As payback, I tormented him with multiple renditions of the ride’s theme song for the rest of the evening. 

Another tick in the box for all those childhood dreams.


No comments: