Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Swept away by history


Last weekend I visited a temporary Banksy exhibition at the Sydney Town Hall. The exhibition features more than 160 artworks from this globally renowned street artist. The art on display includes limited edition prints of his most recognized pieces, a body of work spanning almost three decades.

Banksy’s artwork often take the form of multi-layered stencils. Some of his most striking art installations also integrate objects already present including street signs and fire hydrants. His work is often satirical, combining dark humour with thought-provoking messages about art, philosophy, and politics.


A Banksy original regularly commands valuations in the millions, including iconic works like Girl with Balloon. A original framed copy of this artwork was sold for $1.4 million by Sotheby’s in 2018. In a classic Banksy move, immediately after the auction ended, a shedder hidden in the frame was triggered by remote control. It partially shredded the piece to protest the folly of capitalism. Ironically, this act instantly increased its resale value.


During last week’s exhibition, I discovered that another of Banksy's most recognized pieces, English Maid, was originally painted on a wall in our London neighbourhood. It’s an image of a maid lifting a section of the wall and sweeping dust under it. In hindsight, I have a vague recollection of seeing it outside the Roundhouse on Chalk Farm Road. Sadly the artwork, created in 2006, has long since disappeared. 

All in all, it was a superb show. Interestingly, the same organisation that arranged the Van Gogh exhibition we saw in London is responsible for this event. I love Banksy's whimsical style. I'll be sure to buy one of his works the day I win Lotto. My first piece will be, The Mild Mild West, a teddy bear throwing a Molotov cocktail. Painted in 1999, it was Banksy’s first major street art installation.


Afterwards, my route home took me past another iconic artwork. I walked through Hyde Park as I was keen to explore a dramatic sculpture on the park's western boundary. It depicts four golden bullets and several spent shells standing vigil over passersby. It appeared a few years ago but I’ve yet to discover its origins. I’m happy to report that it's a stunning memorial to First Nation's people who've fought on behalf of Australia. Now that's progress!


No comments: