Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Creating memories one day at a time


I’ve spent a week catching up with family and friends in New Zealand. It’s been six months since my last visit. I’ve filled my time visiting my Mum in her rest home and enjoying several weekend outings.

Friday saw me spend some quality time with Mum. She was delighted to see me and still knows I’m her son. We spent the afternoon visiting McLaren Falls and enjoying a light lunch at the local cafe. Sadly, recent dry weather meant the falls weren’t at their best.
 

Saturday was taken up with a day at the races in Tauranga. It’s been decades since I last spent time on a racecourse. The weather certainly played its part. Our group enjoyed a fun-filled afternoon under a temporary gazebo. I started well with a healthy win on the first race I bet on. However, by the end of the day, I'd lost more than I'd won.

Sunday was spent enjoying the beach and the last of the Summer sunshine with Mum before joining my brother Hamish and his family for dinner in Papamoa.  This dinner followed an adults-only session we all enjoyed on Friday night at Nectar in Tauranga.


Today saw me returning to Bethlehem Views for a final visit with Mum. It was a sad affair as Mum was struggling to stand and remain alert. Sadly, her dementia continues to take a toll. Her mobility is declining and her cognitive abilities are increasingly unpredictable.  It’s hard to know how smoothly future visits will unfold.

Given Mum's declining health, earlier in the week I decided to extend my visit to make the most of my time with her on this trip. I fly home tomorrow. I won't be back in Aotearoa now until August. Hamish is heading to Europe for two months so I’m coming over to share Mum's visiting hours with Matt for a week.


No comments: