Friday, August 21, 2026

Transition to retirement


So, this is what retirement feels like? It’s been just over a week since I completed my last official transition project for Artiwood’s new owner (this year’s product catalogue – that’s the cover which opens this post). Since then, my days have felt busier than ever. My diary is filling up with all manner of deferred or delayed activities, such as dental appointments and appointments with other healthcare professionals, including my annual skin cancer check-up.

I also have vouchers for a range of experiences given to me on my birthday last year that I’ve yet to use. This includes axe-throwing, a bathhouse soak (or massage) and a decadent spa treatment. I’ve already booked my spa treatment for mid-September. Garry is trying to convince a group of friends to join us on our axe-throwing date.

Last month I signed up for a six-week online retirement planning course. It’s a course I’ve been considering for some time. Fortuitously, it started the day after I completed my final transition project, and thus I’m able to give it my full attention. The course comes highly recommended. It takes participants through all aspects of retirement, including Government pensions, Superannuation mechanics and broader issues such as travel, hobbies and other pastimes.

One week into the course, I’m already adjusting financial planning templates I created a decade ago in response to the course material. It’s also been reassuring to learn that much of the planning I’ve done in recent years (and began more than a decade ago) is considered best practice. I also love the fact that I’m getting my head around how some of these Government services and benefits really work.

The course has also challenged me to think about my retirement “community”. Who do I want to spend more time with? As luck would have it, Jon, my longest-standing friendship in Australia, retired earlier this year. We’ve both retired ahead of schedule and are somewhat scrambling to wrap our heads around this next stage in life. It’s nice to think that I might have a like-minded partner in crime to share the journey.

Next week I fly to New Zealand for a five-day weekend. This will be my first opportunity to quiz my brother Hamish about his transition to retirement. He stopped working about two years ago and struggled initially to find his rhythm. As I plan my own retirement, I count myself lucky to have the insights of friends, family and other resources to draw upon. I'm also fortunate to have already weathered a major career transition. As a result, I can draw upon lessons I learned while navigating a loss of purpose, mild depression and other often cathartic, personal challenges. Watch this space.

No comments: