Saturday, December 31, 2022

Lakeside R&R


Garry and I have just enjoyed five superb days in Queenstown. It’s been an awesome holiday. The weather also played its part with many fine conditions. We’ve based ourselves in a serviced apartment overlooking Lake Wakatipu. We’ve also enjoyed the company of my brother Matt, sister-in-law Shelley and their children. By sheer chance, we’d all booked a vacation in Queenstown for the same week.


While in town we’ve entertained ourselves with some of the region’s classic highlights including a ride up the Gondola to enjoy the stunning view on offer at the Skyline lounge. However, I couldn’t talk Garry into giving the luge run a try. The views from our apartment balcony proved equally spectacular. Twice a day we watched the SS Earnslaw steamer set sail. We were also entertained by an impromptu jazz concert on the foreshore one afternoon.


The penultimate day of the year proved particularly eventful. I started the day with an exhilarating jet boat ride along the Shotover River – something I’ve always wanted to do. I then got distracted buying new hiking boots in the post-Christmas sales (my last pair fell apart during our hike to Kim’s Lookout on Lord Howe Island in October). Garry and I then joined Matt and Shelley for a fun afternoon sampling wines and boutique beers on a small group wine tour.


We finished our day with dinner followed by sunset drinks at Perky’s Floating Bar. This quirky bar is located on a permanently moored boat docked on the town foreshore. However, the day also turned to tragedy when we realized I’d left my wine tour purchases at the restaurant after dinner. Fortunately, the staff spotted my errant goods and put them safely behind the bar.


On the final day of the year, we made our way to Milford Sound where we’ll base ourselves for the first two days of 2023. Once again, the weather played its part. We stopped several times to soak up the view as we drove along the shores of Lake Wakatipu before making a series of scenic stops along the road to Milford Sound. Today’s National Park highlights included a boardwalk at Mirror Lake, stunning views of the Eglinton Valley, the spectacular entrance to the Homer Tunnel, and Pop’s View Lookout.


We’ve now based at The Milford Sound Lodge. It’s a genuinely impressive facility in the heart of Milford Sound. Our room looks out over a tributary of the picturesque Cleddau River. While Garry relaxed, this evening I took a quick drive down to the foreshore to soak in my first view of the Mitre Peak. I’ve finally seen Milford Sound in picture-perfect weather. Without a doubt, it was worth the wait. This evening we'll see in the new year with a dinner featuring local produce at the Lodge's Pio Pio restaurant.


No comments: