Friday, September 18, 2026

Bridging the gap


Infrastructure geeks like me got excited last week. After decades of planning, the Raymond Terrace Bypass finally opened west of Newcastle. I’ve previously blogged about progress on this motorway extension. This missing section of highway across the Hunter River and its broad floodplain has been in the works for decades.

Way back in 1998, the M1 motorway was extended from Minmi to Beresfield. This extension left just 15km of dual carriageway missing between Sydney and Coffs Harbour. For decades, proposals to bridge the gap collected dust. Eventually, in 2021, construction approval was granted for the missing link. The final design includes a 2.6 kilometre viaduct across the river and its surrounding floodplain.


Garry and I drove past the roadworks last month while travelling to Zoe’s wedding near Forster. At the time it was clear that the road was rapidly nearing completion. Last Friday, in the early hours of the morning, it was quietly opened without any fanfare. We can now drive all the way to Coffs Harbour without hitting a single traffic light.

Very soon you’ll be able to drive from Melbourne to Brisbane uninterrupted when the Coffs Harbour Bypass opens. This second project is currently running well ahead of schedule. It wasn’t due to open for another 12 months or more. However, recent announcements have confirmed that it'll open before Christmas. The Raymond Terrace Bypass also opened well ahead of schedule. I can't recall the last time a major infrastructure project finished on budget and ahead of schedule.

Naturally, I can’t wait to drive these two new sections of highway. Garry and I are talking about taking a road trip north to visit his friends Danny and Anges, or returning to Ballina for more time out on the farm with Liz and Adam. Watch this space.


No comments: