I’d always wanted a convertible. The 2001 model in the yard was a Saab’s first-generation convertible. An owner who’d bought Saab’s recently launched second-generation model had traded it in. After a test drive and a brief negotiation, I decided to buy it. For the next 12 months, I proudly drove around Sydney in my fancy convertible. It came with heated seats, aircon and powerful heaters that delivered a warm stream of air, perfect for driving with the roof down in winter.
However, there were some aspects of the car that I didn’t enjoy. The first-generation chassis wasn’t as stiff as it could have been. As a result, the car would subtly shimmer if you drove over an uneven surface or hit a pothole. The sensation was a little disconcerting. Saab fixed this issue on its second-generation model.
The car was also built on a standard sedan footprint. This meant that it had a relatively spacious rear seat. Mitchell, Garry’s nephew, recalls Garry and I driving up to Rouse Hill to show his family my new toy. We took him and his brother Adam for a drive to McDonald's – with the roof down, of course! Two decades later, Mitch still remembers sitting in the back seat, driving through the neighbourhood.
Given my love-hate relationship with the car, it was a relatively easy decision to sell it a year later when Garry and I agreed to relocate to London. I ultimately sold the car to a private broker in September 2005 and used the proceeds to fund a sabbatical we enjoyed en route to the United Kingdom.
The broker was a little dodgy. He quoted one price, then after viewing the car, tried to lowball it using some flimsy excuse. I stood my ground, reaffirming that his original price was the only offer on the table. The broker was also operating the business from a spare bedroom at the Horizon apartment tower in Darlinghurst. At the time, this was one of Sydney’s premier high-rise apartment buildings. It’s not exactly the place you’d expect to find a couple of employees in an apartment, sitting at simple desks, buying and selling vehicles.
He offered to write me a cheque, or if I waited, he’d go to the bank and raise a bank cheque. I elected to wait while he went to the bank. As I recall, I lost about $12,000 on the price I’d paid 12 months earlier. However, it was able to reconcile the hefty loss while standing in front of the pyramids in Cairo a few months later. I doubt I’ll ever own a convertible again.





No comments:
Post a Comment