A few weeks ago, while visiting my brothers in New Zealand, I decided to join my brother Matt for a birthday lunch while he and Shelley were holidaying on the Gold Coast. I booked flights there and back for $112.00 via Jetstar. You read that correctly: $56.00 each way. I subsidised this price a little by cashing in the frequent flyer points I’d clocked up flying to New Zealand. I was also travelling with nothing more than carry-on luggage.
My flight landed on the Gold Coast shortly after 9:00am. By 10:00am I was pulling up outside the entrance to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. Matt, Shelley and I then spent the morning checking out some of Australia’s iconic native animals. Avid followers of this blog may recall that I visited this attraction in November 2024 as part of a business networking event.
We did enjoy one close encounter. In the Kangaroo zone, we were invited to stroke a few of the friendly marsupials. Matt was delighted. We also spotted a very young joey nervously popping its head out of its mother’s pouch. Super cute!
Once we’d had our fill of marsupials, snakes and birdlife, it was a short five-minute walk to the coast. The Swell festival was in full swing. This is the Gold Coast’s equivalent of Sydney’s Sculpture by the Sea event. We spent an hour exploring the artwork installed along the coastal boardwalk. We then retired to the Currumbin Beach Vikings Surf Life Saving Club for a leisurely lunch overlooking the beach, with the iconic Surfers Paradise skyline in the distance.
It was awesome fun hanging out with my little bro and his wife. I'm glad I took the opportunity to celebrate his Double Five birthday. That’s $112 well spent if you ask me. I could get used to retirement.
















No comments:
Post a Comment